This skirt was definitely a learning experience. Trial and error abounds! I think it turned out really cute. Here are pictures -
Here are the things I learned while making this skirt:
1. The size of your needle is really important!
2. When sewing elastic, and it is going to show – match your thread to the elastic.
3. A zigzag stitch does not add a decorative touch to elastic – it just makes it bunch weirdly.
4. The circumference (hem) of a 27″ diameter (length of the skirt+waist) takes a LONG time to sew!
5. Silk Charmeuse is a very delicate material.
6. Your bobbin (Okay, maybe just my bobbin) will always run out of thread approximately 4″ before the end of your project
Like I said, I have taken on this challenge in order to learn more about sewing and making clothes. Although none of these skirts are perfect, I am getting better with each one, and I am definitely learning!